Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thoughts about growing older and aging

Maybe it was my recent birthday or maybe the passing of my grandmother at 95 years of age or maybe it was the old newspaper clipping that I found tucked away in a pile of papers or the comment wondering if it is time to color my hair or maybe a combination of all those things that have caused me to pause and think about aging.

What do I want to be when I get grow-up? J has asked me that question recently. I laugh a bit but then I pause and think that the character qualities and disciplines that I am building now are the ones I am going to have when I am old so build carefully. It seems that if you are a kind person you will continue that way and if you had a foul mouth that continues as well. So I want to work now and build the person I want to be when I am old.

I was reminded of that on Monday as repeatedly it was mentioned that my grandmother was a prayer warrior. Prayer warrior is one of the things on my list that I want to be when I grow up along with a listening ear and encouraging words.

As I grow old, I want to build memories. Memories seem to be the little things that you didn't plan as well as the big things that you do plan. I think of memories that were made along the way of life such as the night I called a co-worker and woke her up at home (that is what happens when you work 12 time zones difference) or shopping trips with cousins, and the big trips that were planned meeting a friend in LA for a few days. So I need to enjoy those little memories and plan the big ones as well.

My great aunt spent a large portion of her life serving the Lord on the mission field so it really wasn't surprising to read the article that I found "Just two days before her birthday she was saying that it would be no problem sleeping in a tent for two weeks if she went with a team to Nicaragua as a translator to help with work after the recent destruction caused by hurricane Joan. So what? Well that was right after her 78th birthday." I wonder what I will be doing when I am 78. I guess I should learn to sleep in a tent now.

This is the youngest age that I could find on my computer. There were color photos of me when I was young.

So tell me what do you want to me when you grow up?

 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...