Tuesday, June 25, 2013

End of the School Year - J's

We school year round except for this year. Where we lived for the past four years the school year was July 1 to June 30 so we have followed that schedule. I was supposed to put a portfolio together which included a reading list and have an evaluation. 


Here he was at the beginning of the year, excited and ready. I don't have a photo for the end of the year.

I keep a record on my computer and update it monthly or whenever. That record includes the number of days we do school for each month and then a summary of what we do. I try to keep track of the books we use including the edition or copyright. I keep samples of their work in a notebook and that is the portfolio.

This past year had some challenges we were in the Northwest when we began the school year, then went back to the east coast, and then came back to the Northwest. Our school year included three drives across the US. We went to over half of the States this year.

Considering that more than half of the year was done without all our resources I think we had a good year.

J read 40 books this year.  I have begun to see him read beyond the assigned reading for school. I would get books from the library from different book lists and he would pick them up to read partly because we didn't have much out here to do.

I continue to see him take ownership of what he needs to do.

I have some areas that I want to improve next year but that is always part of the year. I won't list all those here rather we will just celebrate that we are finished this school year.


Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...