Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Books



I know it is after Christmas. I decided to just write a list of some of the books that we read and enjoyed this year so we will remember for next year and maybe some others can have ideas on new books to add to their Christmas book collection. I have a few Christmas books and would love to add some more. Since our books are in storage we had to make do with what a friend loaned us and also what we got from the library.


The Clown of God  by Tomie dePaola-- This book makes me cry. It is a reminder to do everything to give glory to God even if it is juggling. I borrowed this from the library and would love to have a copy.


An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco - I love most of Patricia Polacco's books. I love the bright colors in the artwork; I love her simple stories so many about her life or her family. This was about her grandmother's youngest brother. Oranges were a special Christmas treat and the family was waiting for father to return with the oranges. While waiting, the family feeds the hobos passing through on the train. Frankie meets Jump-Up Billy and notices that he is shivering and cold so he gives his sweater the one his older sister had given him for Christmas the year before to him secretly. Father returns with the oranges just before Christmas. I could tell more of the story but that would take away from the fun of reading it. I will say that Frankie does something wrong and then confesses it but his family does something very special for Frankie. That alone is enough to make me cry but then you learn it was his last Christmas and you are so thankful for what the family did.


The Nativity illustrated by Julie Vivas - This is basically the telling of Luke 2 with illustrations but it is a fun way to read that passage.

The Gift by Aliana Brodmann is a cute Hanukkah story about a girl using her money to give to another.

Angela and the Baby Jesus - I loved the way that Angela showed a concern for baby Jesus. She didn't want him to be cold. I read that to Miss K and that night she brought her baby to me wrapped his swaddling clothing also known as her pink blanket and told me it was baby Jesus.


The Sweet Smell of Christmas by Patricia Scarry - This was a cute story about a bear and all the smells of Christmas. I love books by Patricia or Richard Scarry so this was a fun one to read.

The Very First Christmas by Paul L. Maier - This was written to give you the true facts of Christmas by going through the Luke story and giving you the background facts.

These are some of the Christmas books that we enjoyed this year. I am thinking next year that I will wrap some of the books and see if we can get a book a day. I think that would get the kids involved in wanting to read the books.

Do you have a favorite Christmas book that I should add to my list?

Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...