Monday, March 17, 2014

The Pyrex Museum

I will admit I didn't even know there was a Pyrex Museum. I didn't know until a friend and I wandered into a flea market store and wandered through and discovered we were at the Pyrex Museum.


The Museum wasn't that big but the Pyrex was enough for me to drool for quite some time. I love Pyrex. I have Pyrex and we use our Pyrex.


I remember growing up my mom had some of the refrigerators containers in Butterprint. She still has those containers and uses them. The refrigerator containers are square and rectangle with a clear glass lid. They have three different sizes and they stack nicely. These are perfect for leftovers.


I think some of the first Pyrex that I received were the primary mixing bowls. It was a wedding gift from an uncle and aunt. I think they shop flea markets to make sets in order to give them out. I love my mixing bowls. They are great for mixing and also for serving. The large yellow bowl is perfect for a big lettuce salad and the little blue bowl is exactly what you need for gravy.

This is a view of one side of the museum. You can see the primary mixing bowls on the shelf. The primary color mixing bowls were very popular and then Pyrex updated them. I have not seen the updated colors much except the set my mom has.


Over the past few years I have added to my collection mostly when I find pieces at thrift stores. I think my favorite pattern is Friendship. The bright yellow and red just make me smile. It is difficult to find pieces in this pattern.


Remember the kitchen colors from the 70's. The Pyrex were the right colors for the kitchen with avocado green, harvest yellow/gold, and brown. In my Pyrex searching I seem to find quite a number of pieces in avocado green.


The Cinderella bowls are the ones with the handle and spout. I am not exactly sure why they are called Cinderella bowls. I have a few of them.  These are perfect for mixing up brownies or make a pie crust.


The bowls that are on my wish list is a set of the dots. Those might be on my wish list for a long time. I just love the bright cheeriness of the pattern.  There are four in the set -- green, yellow, blue and red/orange.


It was a fun discovery. The owner came over and talked with us for quite awhile. She has a few pieces for sale only those that are duplicates. She did recommend buying them when we find them. I do if it is a price I like and the piece does not look like it has been in the dishwasher. If you have vintage Pyrex, don't put it in the dishwasher. It might look like it is fine but over time it will have a washed out look and the color will disappear because of the hot temperatures and the soap. Take a few minutes and wash them by hand. 

The Pyrex Museum was a fun find during our girls weekend away. 

Do you have any vintage Pyrex? What is your favorite pattern?


Beth
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I have a Pirex bowl that I love. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to put it in the dishwasher. :)
    What a fun find! You'll have to tell me where this store is.
    I'm glad you had some time away.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...